Libya on brink of water crisis as armed group closes main source

Man-Made River in Libya’s southern region (Photo: Internet)

The Man-Made River administration has announced finishing the routine maintenance at the Shuwairif station, but said it would be unable to restore water supllies to flow back into the Libyan cities due to the threats of an armed group in the area.

The administration started the maintenance work on October 16 and said it would take 9 days to finish, however an armed group led by Abulqassim Ehnish threatened in a video statement to shut down the water source and later blow it up if their demands were not answered.

The armed group demanded their commander Al-Mabrouk Ehnish be released from Tripoli by the Special Deterrent Force after he was detained earlier last month heading a force and trying to enter southern Tripoli.

“We give the force 72 hours otherwise we will explode the Man-Made River and we will even shut down the gas and oil pipelines in the southern region.” Ehnish said in the video three days ago.

Today, the capital and other cities in Libya re left without water supplies and the crisis will only get worse by time as the armed group is still vowing to do more harm to the water source.

The views expressed in Op-Ed pieces are those of the author and do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of Libyan Express.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to oped@libyanexpress.com. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
Azara Media Azara Media
You might also like

Submit a Correction

For: Libya on brink of water crisis as armed group closes main source

Your suggestion have been successfully submitted

There was an error while trying to send your request. Please try again.

Libyan Express will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.