Libya’s Ansar Al-Sharia group declares dissolution
Libya’s Ansar Al-Sharia armed group announced its own dissolution on Saturday, saying it has been “weakened” by fighting in Benghazi.
The group had been clashing in the eastern city with forces loyal to renegade general Khalifa Haftar.
“We officially announce to everyone, especially Libyans, the dissolution of Ansar al-Sharia in Libya,” the group said in a statement published online.
The decision came on the back of heavy losses that wiped out its leaders and decimated its fighters, Ansar al-Sharia said, calling on other armed groups in Benghazi to form a united front and continue fighting.
The United States blames the group for the attack on a diplomatic compound in Benghazi in 2012 which killed US Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to email@example.com. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- PM Dbeibah outlines government plans to support December 24 election - October 22, 2021
- Israeli settlers destroy 300 olive trees in Ramallah - October 22, 2021
- Thierry Henry: Mohamed Salah is not the world’s best player right now - October 22, 2021