Libya’s authorities bury 46 migrants who drowned off the coast last Friday
Libyan authorities buried the bodies of 46 migrants on Sunday after they were recovered from the sea following one of deadliest shipwrecks in the Mediterranean so far this year.
Rescue workers said on Friday they had recovered the bodies of 62 migrants from the waters off Libya after the overloaded boat went down off the city of Khoms, east of the capital.
Authorities said the bodies of the remaining 16 would be buried later.
Seven migrants rescued from the wreck helped lay their companions to rest.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.