Libya’s NOC reopens Sharara oilfield
Libya’s National Oil Corporation says production is to resume within hours at the southwestern Sharara oil field after control was retaken from an armed group last month.
The militia’s blockade had cost the state oil company around $1.8 billion in lost production.
NOC chairman Mustafa Sanallah said on Tuesday that force majeure was lifted and that authorities “received assurances that site security has been restored” to control by local oil security forces. The NOC moved to reopen the facility late Monday.
Forces led by Khalifa Haftar, who is based in the country’s east, captured the oil field from an armed militia in February.
Haftar’s forces later withdrew.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- Haftar to fly to the US with family, pretending it’s a Libyan official visit - September 13, 2021
- Haftar hires ex-Clinton aide, ex-Republican leader to lobby Washington for Libya elections’ run - September 09, 2021
- Al-Saadi Gaddafi, late dictator’s son, released from Libyan prison - September 06, 2021