Maltese fishing vessel seized in Libya’s Benghazi
A Maltese vessel has been held in Libya for more than a week, its owner told The Malta Independent.
The Maltese flagged fishing vessel Salvatur VI, MFA0172VLT, owned by Salvatur VI Fishing Company Limited), with 1 Italian Captain and 6 Indonesian crew members on board, has been held by the Libyan Military forces of Benghazi, owner Albert Satariano said, according to the website.
The vessel was stopped on 28 September and so far all crew members are well and on board the vessel, waiting to be released together with the vessel. However, this release has been delayed day after day, Satariano said.
“My lawyer in Libya last night informed me that the Libyan Army are waiting to be contacted by the Maltese and Indonesian Authorities, to be able to release the crew and vessel.
“The Italian captain was released immediately after the Libyan Army was contacted by the Italian Consulate in Benghazi. It appears that the Captain has so far refused to leave the vessel until this matter is resolved, but it seems that he is now being forced to leave the country, The Malta Independent added.
“I have been in contact with The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Indonesian Embassy in Rome and informed them fully of the situation. However, I am concerned that the Maltese authorities are not taking urgent action, contrary to what the Italian Government has already done.” According to The Malta Independent.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to email@example.com. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- NOC: Selling oil alone can lead to corruption in Libya - January 25, 2023
- Libyan PM receives letter from Japanese counterpart on ties - January 25, 2023
- Over 100 illegal migrants rescued off Libyan - January 09, 2023