Mistaken airstrike kills scores of civilians in Nigeria
BBC – A Nigerian air force jet has accidentally killed and injured many civilians in Rann, in the north-east of the country, the military has said.
International aid agency MSF says at least 50 people were killed and more than 100 injured in the incident.
Aid workers are among the casualties – the Red Cross says six of its workers are confirmed dead.
The attack took place near Nigeria’s border with Cameroon where the army has been fighting Boko Haram militants.
Army spokesman Maj-Gen Lucky Irabor said the jet’s pilot had mistakenly believed he was attacking insurgents. He said the mission had been ordered, based on intelligence about a gathering of Boko Haram fighters.
Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari has sent a message expressing his dismay at the loss of life and pleading for calm.
His spokesman said Mr Buhari’s administration would offer help to the government of Borno state “in attending to this regrettable operational mistake”.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- UK calls on Iran to prevent escalation in Israel-Hamas conflict - November 05, 2023
- Libyan Interior Minister: Immigrant shelter costs a fortune - November 05, 2023
- Libya’s political crisis can only be resolved through elections, says Russian ambassador - November 05, 2023