Russia: Syria war crimes allegations are rejected
Russia says it “categorically rejects” accusations of war crimes over the bombing of hospitals in Syria.
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said “those who make such statements are not capable of backing them up with proof”.
Up to 50 people were killed in missile attacks on schools and at least four hospitals in the region on Monday.
Both France and Turkey said the strikes constituted war crimes. Turkey’s foreign ministry blamed Russia for the attacks.
A Turkish official on Tuesday said it would back a ground operation in Syria but only “with our international allies.
“There is not going to be a unilateral military operation from Turkey to Syria,” the unnamed official told reporters in Istanbul.
Monday’s strikes struck two hospitals and two schools in Azaz, near the border with Turkey, and at least two hospitals in Maarat al-Numan, further south.
One of the hospitals in Maarat al-Numan was run by Medicins Sans Frontieres (MSF), who called it a “deliberate” strike.
The strikes came days after world powers – including Russia – agreed to work towards a selective truce in Syria, due to begin later this week.
The UN envoy to Syria, Staffan de Mistura, is in the capital, Damascus, to discuss the implementation of the “cessation of hostilities” – which could include the immediate delivery of humanitarian aid to besieged areas.
But Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has cast doubt over the plan, saying it did not mean all the parties would put down their weapons.
“So far they say they want a ceasefire within a week,” he said in his first comments of Friday’s agreement. “Who is capable of gathering all these conditions and requirements within a week?”
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to email@example.com. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.