South Korean, three Filipinos freed after months of abduction in Libya
Four detainees – 3 Filipinos and a South Korean – who were held captive by armed groups in Libya have been released thanks to “intensive efforts” made by the UAE “in coordination and cooperation” with Khalifa Haftar’s forces, the UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation said.
The civilians, who were held captive last year by some Libyan armed groups, were airlifted to Abu Dhabi prior to being taken to their home countries.
The UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation said in a statement that the detainees, who work as civil engineers, were held captive while working at a desalination plant in west Libya.
“The UAE is working on sending them to their home countries. The release of these innocent civilians has been made after intensive efforts to convey a message about the significance and importance of strengthening security and peace in Libya, and to contain criminal practices by armed groups who hold civilians captive without any consideration to international charters and norms.” UAE’s statement said.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- NATO: We are dedicated to assisting Libya on its path to stability in terms of defense and security - June 16, 2021
- Administrative and financial failure casts a shadow of doubt over the National Safety Authority - June 16, 2021
- Al-Mangoush working to mobilize support for the full implementation of the Ceasefire Agreement - June 15, 2021