Tens of thousands civilians trapped in Minbij, Aleppo, after US-led fighters besieged the town
Tens of thousands of civilians are trapped inside the northern Syrian city of Manbij after U.S.-backed fighters surrounded the ISIS group stronghold, an activist said Saturday.
The Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) encircled Manbij Friday, severing ISIS’ principal supply route between Turkey and its de facto Syrian capital, Raqqa.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a British-based activist group, said warplanes from a U.S.-led coalition were conducting heavy bombing raids on Manbij.
“Tens of thousands of civilians who are still there can’t leave as all the routes out of the city are cut,” Observatory head Rami Abdel Rahman told AFP.
The U.S. envoy to the anti-ISIS coalition backing the SDF, Brett McGurk, said the surrounding of Manbij had severed an important route for ISIS fighters.
“ISIS terrorists now completely surrounded with no way out,” he wrote on Twitter, using another name for ISIS.
The city has been held by ISIS since 2014 and the Observatory said that thousands of inhabitants had recently fled Manbij as air strikes intensified.
“Bakeries in the town haven’t been open since Friday and food is beginning to become rare,” Abdel Rahman said.
He said that at least 159 ISIS fighters, 22 SDF troops and 37 civilians had been killed, mainly by bombing raids, since the alliance launched its Manbij offensive on May 31.
Syria’s civil war began with the brutal repression of anti-government demonstrations in 2011 and has now killed more than 280,000 people and displaced millions.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to email@example.com. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- Parliament will debate the Constitution Court and the Unified Pay Scale - September 23, 2022
- Turkey set to deliver armed drones to UAE - September 23, 2022
- Dbeibeh accuses the Audit Bureau of petty politics with its government - September 23, 2022