UN joins EU in rendering Haftar’s Tripoli attack as threat to international peace and security
UNSMIL has welcomed in a statement the European Union’s Foreign Affairs Council statement on Libya, which called for a ceasefire and said the Tripoli attack by Khalifa Haftar’s forces threatens international peace and security.
UNSMIL said on Tuesday that it echoes the EU Council’s statement and stresses that the attack on Tripoli and ensuing violence threaten international peace and security, and most importantly, the stability of Libya.
“UNSMIL joins the EU in calling on all parties to cooperate with UN for an immediate ceasefire.” The statement reads.
It reiterated that indiscriminate attacks on civilians and civilian infrastructures may amount to war crimes, reminding all parties of their obligations under IHL, IHRL and arms embargo.
The Government of National Accord has previously rejected any ceasefire unless Haftar pulls his troops back to the areas they held before April 04, in the south and east of the country.
The weeks of fighting have killed more than 430 people and wounded at least 2,110 others, while displacing more than 55,000, the World Health Organization said.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.