UN says attack on aid convoy in Syria’s Aleppo was an airstrike
Analysis of satellite imagery taken after a deadly attack on an aid convoy in northern Syria last month shows that it was an air strike, a UN expert says.
At least 18 people were killed when lorries unloading at a Syrian Arab Red Crescent warehouse in a rebel-held town outside Aleppo came under fire.
The US believes Russian warplanes bombed the convoy. Russia, which backs Syria’s government, denies the charge.
UN officials have said the incident could constitute a war crime.
Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has established an internal board of inquiry to investigate the attack, which he has denounced as
“sickening, savage and apparently deliberate”.
The attack came days after a US-led coalition strike in the eastern city of Deir al-Zour, which killed at least 62 Syrian government soldiers.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- AU, UN reiterates support to negotiated political settlement in Libya - December 06, 2022
- World Cup: Morocco knocks out Spain - December 06, 2022
- Al Jazeera files lawsuit at ICC over Israel’s killing of journalist - December 06, 2022