UNHCR: 1350 refugees, migrants evacuated from Libya to third countries in 2019

The UN Higher Commission of Refugees (UNHCR) said on Sunday that 1,350 refugees have been evacuated from Libya to third countries so far in 2019.

A total of “1,350 refugees left Libya to safe third countries through evacuation or resettlement program in 2019,” the UNHCR tweeted.

On Saturday, “31 refugees left … with hopes to start a new chapter of their lives,” it added.

Since after 2011 revolution, Libya has become a preferred point of departure for illegal immigrants wanting to cross the Mediterranean to reach Europe, many of whom drown on the way.

The UNHCR has said Libya is not a safe port for disembarkation for migrants given the worsening security conditions in the country.

You might also like

Submit a Correction

For: UNHCR: 1350 refugees, migrants evacuated from Libya to third countries in 2019

Your suggestion have been successfully submitted

There was an error while trying to send your request. Please try again.

Libyan Express will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.