Unknown airstrikes target IS convoy near Soukna town, civilians killed

At least eight civilians including women and children were killed in an air strike near an oasis town in central Libya on Tuesday, a hospital doctor and an eyewitness said.
The identity of the war planes that carried out the strike near Houn, could not be confirmed. Armed groups loyal to factions based in eastern and western Libya operate in the area.
At least 20 people were wounded in the strike and all victims were brought to the hospital in Houn, a doctor there said.
An eyewitness said residents had heard war planes overhead before learning that civilians had been hit. He went to the hospital to try to offer help and described the situation there as “chaotic”
Other reports said the airstrikes were targeting an IS convoy in Nina farm road near Soukna, yet the Libyan News cannot confirm these reports for now.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to oped@libyanexpress.com. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- Al-Menfi calls for permanent African seats on UN Security Council - February 15, 2026
- ‘He lied’: Ex-UN adviser blasts broken promises behind Libya’s failed vote - February 15, 2026
- How a convoy attack exposed Russia’s expanding role in Libya - February 15, 2026