US AFRICOM ends military operation against IS radicals in Libya
DW – The US military has formally ended operations to drive the so-called “Islamic State” from its former stronghold in Libya, US military’s Africa Command said in a statement on Tuesday.
The United States on August 1 launched Operation Odyssey Lightning to help government-aligned forces push IS from Sirte. Fayez al-Sarraj, the leader of the Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA), announced over the weekend that military operations begun in June in the coastal city had been completed after tough fighting to root out the radicals.
“In partnership with the Libyan Government of National Accord, the operation succeeded in its core objective of enabling GNA-aligned forces to drive IS out of Sirte,” Africa Command said.
US drones, warships and jets conducted 495 strikes on IS vehicles, tanks, heavy guns, fighting positions and command centers as GNA-aligned forces fought to retake the city, located 450 kilometers (280 miles) east of Tripoli.
The loss of Sirte is a major blow to the extremist organization, but it still retains a presence in the war-torn country. The extremist group has also been dealt a number of setbacks in Syria and Iraq.
The US military said it would continue to support the internationally recognized Libyan government to help “counter the evolving threat” posed by IS.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to email@example.com. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- Bodies of 5 migrants heading to Europe wash up in Misurata - November 23, 2020
- Tobruk-based parliament agree to hold unity talks in in Morocco - November 23, 2020
- Stephanie Williams asks UN to blacklist anyone who violates peace talks - November 20, 2020