US airstrike on Yemen killed a number of civilians
The US military says it believes civilians were among the casualties when US commandos raided an al-Qaeda stronghold in Yemen on Sunday, the BBC wrote.
US Central Command (Centcom) said in a statement that those killed could include children, the BBC added.
It indicated that Yemeni sources had previously said that up to 16 civilians were killed in the operation in Bayda province.
Reports say they included the eight-year-old daughter of Anwar al-Awlaki, a militant killed by a US strike in 2011, according to the BBC.
The raid was the first such operation authorised by new US President Donald Trump, explained the BBC.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- PM Dbeibah outlines government plans to support December 24 election - October 22, 2021
- Israeli settlers destroy 300 olive trees in Ramallah - October 22, 2021
- Thierry Henry: Mohamed Salah is not the world’s best player right now - October 22, 2021