US concerned about GNC coup on legitimate government in Libya
The United States expressed Saturday its great concern about the coup in Libya that was done by the dismissed General National Congress and its Salvation Government.
“We are in true support for the UN-brokered Government of National Accord, which is the legitimate choice of the Libyans and Libyan political parties.” The US State Department stated.
The US State Department also said in a statement that all the state buildings must be surrendered back to the control of the GNA in Tripoli, asking all Libyan parties to remain calm in this decisive period of time.
It also called on all of the political conflicting parties to work together to form secure, prosperous, and free Libya that can make all Libyans thrive through the Libyan Political Agreement brokered by the UN.
Likewise, the European Union condemned the coup attempt on the sole legitimate government in Tripoli by the GNC and the SG, denouncing their efforts to be in power by force.
“The European Union will continue to lend support to the Libyan people and to UNSMIL in its efforts to bring about a lasting solution.” A spokesman for the EU said in a statement on Saturday.
On Friday evening, the dismissed General National Congress and its Salvation Government took the Rixos Headquarters where the UN-brokered High Council of State had been located with the help of the Presidential Guard and other armed groups.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- Italy will give Libya five boats to control the migrants - February 04, 2023
- Dbeibeh’s government is not assisting us in the “Abu Agila” case, says his nephew - February 04, 2023
- Al-Swehli: Bouznika’s agreement to modify sovereign positions is declared unconstitutional - February 03, 2023