US, Egypt, urge calm in Libya’s capital
The United States and Egypt, a key backer of Khalifa Haftar, on Tuesday called for calm Haftar pressed ahead in his offensive on Tripoli.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo addressed the crisis in Libya during a phone call with Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry, the State Department said.
The two discussed “the urgent need to achieve a political solution in Libya and prevent further escalation,” State Department spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus said.
Haftar launched his attack on Tripoli on April 04, since then, over 500 have been killed, over 2300 injured, over 75.000 displaced and many houses and properties destroyed.
He visited France last week and met with President Emmanuel Macron, to whom he reiterated his unwillingness to commit to a ceasefire, citing the need for eliminating terrorism.
Haftar also ruled out a ceasefire in the battle for Tripoli and accused the United Nations of seeking to partition Libya, an interview published Sunday by French newspaper Le Journal du Dimanche said.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.