Death toll of Italy’s earthquake mounts to 120
At least 120 people have been killed and 368 injured in an earthquake that hit a mountainous area of central Italy, PM Matteo Renzi has said.
The magnitude-6.2 quake struck at 03:36 (01:36 GMT), 100km (65 miles) north-east of Rome, not far from Perugia.
Many of the dead were in the historic town of Amatrice, where the mayor said three-quarters of the town was destroyed, and in nearby Accumoli.
Many people are still believed to be buried under rubble.
“This is not a final toll,” Mr Renzi warned as he gave the latest figures.
He had earlier paid tribute to the volunteers and civil defence officials who had rushed to the scene in the middle of the night and used their bare hands to dig for survivors.
He promised “no family, no city, no hamlet will be left behind”.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to email@example.com. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- Joey Hood: Foreign fighters must leave Libya - June 24, 2021
- At Berlin Conference, Libya’s security and stability are at top of the agenda - June 24, 2021
- Kuwait gives final approval to $76 billion state budget - June 24, 2021