Gunmen open fire on Libyan Education Minister’s convoy
The Education Minister of the Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA) escaped an assassination attempt when gunmen opened fire on his convoy on Monday on Sabha main road.
The Education Minister, Othman Abdeljalil, was reported as safe and secure after the incident that took place while he was on duty trying to monitor the process of finals exams in Sabha city, southern Libya.
In a statement on Monday, the Education Deputy Minister, Adel Juma, said that some of the delegation’s members who were with the minister were detained by the gunmen for hours before they had been released.
Juma added that the Education Ministry of the GNA hails the bravery of Toubou tribesmen in the area and other residents who helped secure the convoy after the attack.
“The Education Minister pursued his visit to Murziq and then he will be in Ubari tomorrow to check on the final exams across the southern region.” The deputy minister added on Facebook on Monday.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to email@example.com. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- Ras Lanuf, Es Sider terminals under duress - June 29, 2022
- UN says ready to ‘facilitate dialogue’ between Dbeibah and Bashagha - June 29, 2022
- Luzon calls for the dissolution of Libya’s HoR and HSC - June 27, 2022