IS attack on Syrian-Turkish border in Idlib leaves 29 dead
At least 29 people, most of them rebel fighters, have been killed in a bombing near Syria’s border with Turkey, activists say.
The attack reportedly occurred during a change of guard at the rebel-controlled Atmeh crossing, in Idlib province.
It was not immediately clear whether the blast was caused by a suicide bomber or a remote-controlled device.
A news agency linked to so-called Islamic State (IS) said a suicide car bombing had targeted a rebel convoy.
But an opposition activist network, the Local Co-ordination Committees, reported that a suitcase filled with explosives had been planted at the scene.
In mid-August, 32 rebels were killed in a suicide attack claimed by IS at the Atmeh crossing, which they use to travel from Idlib, via Turkey, to battle the jihadist group in other parts of north-eastern Syria.
The LCC reported that 30 people had been killed and 40 others wounded in Thursday morning’s attack, while the UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights put the death toll at 29.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to email@example.com. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- UK calls on Iran to prevent escalation in Israel-Hamas conflict - November 05, 2023
- Libyan Interior Minister: Immigrant shelter costs a fortune - November 05, 2023
- Libya’s political crisis can only be resolved through elections, says Russian ambassador - November 05, 2023