Libya’s Tripoli-based government agrees to conditional humanitarian truce
Libya’s internationally recognised Government of National Accord has accepted a United Nations proposal for a ceasefire during the Eid al-Adha holiday, a statement said on Friday.
The U.N. mission in Libya (UNSMIL) earlier on Friday called on the Tripoli government and the eastern-based forces of Khalifa Haftar to allow a ceasefire during the Eid holiday which starts on Saturday and ends on Tuesday.
The ceasefire would also include a ban on air strikes, the Tripol-based GNA said in a statement, citing humanitarian grounds for the move.
There was no immediate comment from Haftar’s forces, which started in April a surprise attack on Tripoli and has not made it beyond the southern suburbs.
UNSMIL will be responsible for monitoring any violations, the GNA said.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- NATO: We are dedicated to assisting Libya on its path to stability in terms of defense and security - June 16, 2021
- Administrative and financial failure casts a shadow of doubt over the National Safety Authority - June 16, 2021
- Al-Mangoush working to mobilize support for the full implementation of the Ceasefire Agreement - June 15, 2021