Munich gunman has link to Anders Breivik, Norway killer
The gunman who killed nine people in Munich was obsessed with mass shootings and had an obvious link to Norwegian mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik, German police say.
Police who searched the 18-year-old’s room say they found written material on attacks.
The gunman, who later killed himself, had a 9mm Glock pistol and 300 bullets.
Police are investigating whether he may have lured his victims through a Facebook invitation to a restaurant.
He is suspected of using a fake account under a girl’s name to invite people to the McDonald’s restaurant where he launched his attack.
Anders Behring Breivik
Image copyright AFP
He murdered 77 people in Norway on 22 July 2011, killing eight with a bomb in the capital Oslo before shooting dead 69 at a summer camp for young centre-left political activists on the island of Utoeya.
Now 37, he is held in solitary confinement in Norway after being sentenced to 21 years in 2012. He recently won an appeal against the tough regime of his incarceration.
He harboured radical right-wing views and said his attack was aimed at stopping Muslim immigration to Europe.
Friday evening’s attack at the Olympia shopping mall also left 27 people injured, including children.
Seven of the dead were teenagers. Three victims were from Kosovo, three from Turkey and one from Greece.
Police say the gunman had been in psychiatric care, receiving treatment for depression.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to email@example.com. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- UK calls on Iran to prevent escalation in Israel-Hamas conflict - November 05, 2023
- Libyan Interior Minister: Immigrant shelter costs a fortune - November 05, 2023
- Libya’s political crisis can only be resolved through elections, says Russian ambassador - November 05, 2023