Security Council fails again to condemn Haftar’s attack on Tripoli, calls for ceasefire

This semi-resolution is the first in 38 days since the war on Tripoli by Khalifa Haftar has started. 

UN envoy to Libya, Ghassan Salame, is briefing the Security Council on Libya’s situation. [Photo: UNSMIL]
The UN Security Council called on Friday for a ceasefire in Libya’s capital, Tripoli, urging “both sides of the fighting” to lay down weapons and go back to the dialogue and political process. 

In a statement issued by the German Mission to the UN, the Security Council said it was deeply concerned about the instability in Tripoli and worsening humanitarian situation which is endangering the lives of innocent civilians and threatening prospects for a political solution.

“Lasting peace and stability in Libya will come only through a political solution.” The Security Council reiterated.

This semi-resolution is the first in 38 days since the war on Tripoli by Khalifa Haftar has started.

The UN Security Council also said that it supports the efforts of UN Special Representative Ghassan Salamé and the UN Support Mission in Libya to help avoid further escalation.

It urged all parties to return rapidly to UN political mediation, and to commit to a ceasefire and deescalation to help mediation succeed.

The latest WHO and other international organizations’ reports say there are over 100.000 people displaced from their houses in the fighting zones – mostly in southern Tripoli – while the death toll exceeded 300 and injuries reached over 2000 so far since April 04.

International intervention has also been very effective in delaying a firm Security Council stance regarding the war in Tripoli, with the US, Russia and France blocking the UK-drafted resolution in the first week of the war, then the UAE and Egypt coaxing US President Donald Trump to call warlord Haftar and second his offensive on Tripoli in a reverse move to America’s policy.

Haftar has also been traveling to Egypt, the latest was on Thursday, to gain more support for his forces as they have been enduring defeats on the outskirts of Tripoli, while the UAE is being investigated by the UN experts panel for its possible role in providing Chinese-made drones and missiles for Haftar’s offensive on Tripoli.

Have your say. Give us your feedback.
Sign up for our Newsletter.

You might also like
Comments

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept