Syrian warplanes drop chlorine gas on Idlib town, Saraqeb
A helicopter dropped containers of toxic gas overnight on a town in Syria’s Idlib province, a rescue service operating in rebel-held territory said on Tuesday.
Raed Saleh, head of the Syrian Civil Defense group, told Al Jazeera that 33 civilians, including 18 women and 10 children, were brought to a local hospital after the attack in the town of Saraqeb.
“Just before midnight, helicopters dropped five explosive barrels containing cylinders of chlorine and shards of metal on neighborhoods in Saraqeb,” he said.
“We suspect it was chlorine because of the smell and the nature of the injuries – suffocation and burning, red eyes. Members of the civil defense brought them all to the nearby hospital.”
The group, a network of volunteer search and rescue workers also known as the White Helmets that operates exclusively in rebel-held areas, posted a video on YouTube purportedly showing a number of men struggling to breathe and being given oxygen masks by rescue workers.
Two of the injured were in critical condition, Saleh said.
Saraqeb is located approximately 15km from where a Russian helicopter was shot down on Monday, killing all five people on board, in the biggest officially acknowledged loss of life for Russian forces since they started operations in Syria in October 2015.
The helicopter came down roughly mid-way between Aleppo and the Russian air force base at Khmeimim, near the Mediterranean coast. No group has claimed responsibility for shooting down the helicopter.
Yet, Russia on Tuesday rejected reports that the chemical attack had happened and said they were full of false information
“It said that reports of chemical barrel bombs amount to an unfounded information attack, lies essentially,” he added.
“Because the location of this alleged chemical attack is very close to the site of the helicopter downing … the Kremlin is very key to void the assumption that has been made in some circles that it is involved in some way in any kind of retaliatory or punitive response to that incident.”
The Syrian government has so far not addressed the allegations.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- Egypt says ready to assist Libya for successful elections - September 16, 2021
- Libyan Court rules in favor of Mohsen Derregia’s return as LIA Chairman - September 16, 2021
- Libya announces reopening of border crossing with Tunisia - September 16, 2021