UN in Libya publishes the terms of ceasefire in Tripoli
The UNSMIL has published the terms of the Tripoli ceasefire agreement saying the parties agree to the following steps:
- Develop a monitoring and verification mechanism to consolidate the ceasefire under the oversight and guidance of the Joint Operations Centre.
- Reposition [the formations] to agreed-upon-locations to enable the restoration of normalcy to conflict areas in particular, and Greater Tripoli in general. This shall be followed by development of a disengagement mechanism.
- Store all heavy and medium weapons inside the premises of the formations.
- Develop a plan for the withdrawal of the armed formations from the sovereign locations and critical infrastructure, to be gradually replaced by regular forces (army and police), starting with Mitiga Airport, the Prime Minister’s Office, the Tripoli Port, the Central Bank of Libya and branches of banks, the National Oil Company sites (starting with Al-Hani fuel tanks and the Airport), the National Electricity Company, particularly the Control Room, the General Authority for Communications and Informatics and the Libyan Investment Authority, according to a defined time-plan.
- Dissolve the current Security Arrangements Committee by the Presidency Council and re-form a new committee to address the security arrangements. The committee will receive the needed support from UNSMIL.
- A written pledge by Tripoli armed groups to refrain from extortion, pressure or entry into the sovereign institutions.
- Announce a package of economic reforms within one week from today and commence its implementation.
- Abolish a set of decrees issued during the past period transferring state authorities to armed groups.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to email@example.com. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- Japan announces new financial contributions to support elections in Libya - October 25, 2021
- Tunisia imposes COVID-19 vaccine pass - October 25, 2021
- Tunisian hip-hop artist is headlining a music concert in Tripoli - October 25, 2021