US to send troops to take Syria’s Raqqa from IS terrorists
BBC – The US is sending 200 more military personnel to help fight the Islamic State group in its Syrian stronghold of Raqqa, the US defence secretary says.
Speaking at talks on Middle East security, Ash Carter said the troops would include special forces trainers, advisers and bomb disposal teams.
They will join 300 US special forces who are already in Syria.
Last month a US-backed coalition of Kurdish and Arab fighters said it had begun an operation to capture Raqqa.
The Syria Democratic Forces (SDF) had been gaining ground in areas north of the so-called Islamic State’s “capital” in Syria.
Speaking on Saturday at a meeting in Bahrain, Mr Carter said the 200 additional troops would “continue organising, training, equipping, and otherwise enabling capable, motivated, local forces” to take the fight to IS.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- Erdogan to expel 10 Western ambassadors - October 24, 2021
- CLF party accuses Hezbollah over taking government hostage - October 24, 2021
- Kais Saied promises to launch ‘national dialogue’ in Tunisia - October 24, 2021