Egypt beat Libya to win friendly halted by tear gas

Goals from Zamalek duo Ali Gabr and Bassem Morsi gave Egypt a victory over Libya in the friendly match, following their 1-0 loss against Jordan on Wednesday.

Ali Gabr opened the scoring for Egypt in the first half (Photo: Ahram)
Ali Gabr opened the scoring for Egypt in the first half (Photo: Ahram)

Libya’s first chance came from a cross in the 9th minute, but Al Ahly defender Ahmed Hegazy diverted it into a corner.

Momen Zakaria was close to open the scoring in the 14th minute, as he found the back of the net from an impossible angle, but his shot was chalked off for offside.

Ten minutes later, the game was suspended for about 15 minutes as the players and officials evacuated the field after security forces fired tear gas outside the stadium.

At the thirty-minute mark, few minutes following the resumption of the match, Zamalek defender Ali Gabr gave Egypt the lead after heading a cross from Abdallah El-Said.

Egypt’s manager Hector Cuper made a double substitution in the beginning of the second half; Mohamed Nassef came on to replace Sabry Rahil, while Ahmed Magdy replaced Ayman Hefny.

Fifteen minutes later, Cuper sent on Bassem Morsi and Salah Soliman instead of Marwan Mohsen and Abdallah El-Said.

Cuper’s substitutions proved to be effective, as Morsi doubled Egypt’s lead after heading a cross from left-back Mohamed Nassef in the 75th minute.

One minute later, the Pharaohs were awarded a penalty after Morsi was tripped inside the area. However, Momen Zakaria’s shot hit the post, denying Egypt a third goal.

Two minutes to full time, Libya were given the chance to reduce the difference as they won a dangerous set-piece, but the shot missed the target.

Libya’s match was Egypt’s final preparation ahead of their clash with Nigeria in the 2017 African Cup of Nations qualifications in March.

You might also like

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept