Libyan Interior Ministry: Gaddafi-regime Hadba prisoners in safe location
The Interior Ministry and the Justice Ministry of the Government of National Accord (GNA) said they have secured the inmate from Hadba prison after the prison compound was seized by Tripoli Revolutionaries Brigade on Friday.
“The inmate are now safe and sound in a secure location for the Interior Ministry.” The Interior Ministry said in a statement on Saturday.
The inmates inside Hadba prison include high profile Gaddafi-regime figures including Abdullah Al-Sanosi and Gaddafi’s son, Al-Saadi Moamar Gaddafi.
The armed group, Tripoli Revolutionaries Brigade, led by Haithem Al-Tajouri, attacked the complex and clashed with the Security Department Forces, led by Khaled Al-Sharif, killing two guards at least and injuring others.
All Al-Sharif-led forces pulled out from the prison, and Al-Sharif announced that his house in Zanata area was destroyed by the armed group’s forces using a bulldozer.
Since Friday morning, forces from Misurata city allied with Salvation Government of General National Congress led by Khalifa Al-Ghweil have been attacking locations of GNA forces in Rixos, Salah Eddeen, Hadba, Hai Demashiq, Ain Zara, airport road and others.
The operation is called Fakhir Libya, Libya’s Pride, and led by Libya Dawn leader Salah Badi.
Over 30 people have been reported dead and 130 injured so far in the clashes, according to Libya’s Health Ministry.
Presidential Council issued a statement condemning the clashes and calling on all forces to stand with force in front of these attacks on the peacefulness of the capital and residents with the coming of Ramadan.
The Head of the High Council of State, Abdel Rahman Al-Sweihli, condemned as well the attacks on the capital and said there is no room for chaos in the capital.
The British ambassador to Libya tweeted this afternoon that he was sorry to hear about the renewed violence in Tripoli.