NATO assures Presidential Council of assistance in rebuilding Libya’s defence structure
NATO has said it would assist Libya’s Presidential Council to rebuild the country’s defense departments.
The announcement was made by Jens Stoltenberg, the organization’s Secretary General at a press conference with Italian Premier Paulo Gentiloni, last week in Rome.
The organization will send a team to help the Libyan Presidency Council build a modern ministry of defense, a joint chief of staff organization and intelligence services, said Stoltenberg, who deemed these institutions vital for Libya’s stability, Middle East Confidential wrote.
A NATO team is expected to arrive in Libya in the third week of May, before the Summit in Brussels, on May 25, according to many reports.
Rome has called on NATO members to play more active roles in Libya’s reconstruction, deeming it is a moral duty.
Al-Serraj has been calling for foreign intervention and assistance to rebuild the country’s key structures among which security.
In February, Al-Serraj received assurances from NATO that it will help build the country’s security and defense structures.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.