Ras Lanuf, Es Sider terminals under duress
Libya’s National Oil Corporation (NOC) has informed some customers of force majeure restrictions at the eastern Ras Lanuf crude export terminal.
An official notice for force majeure, which covers NOC for an inability to supply customers because of circumstances beyond its control, has yet to be circulated to all clients, sources said to Libyan Express.
NOC said on 27 June that blockades at Ras Lanuf and at the Es Sider port could push it to declare force majeure in the Gulf of Sirte region, which covers both terminals, effective within 72 hours. Production at the Waha Oil company, which feeds into the Es Sider export grade, had been completely disrupted as of the start of this week.
NOC did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Export terminals Marsa el-Brega and Zueitina have been under force majeure since the second half of April because of protests. Demonstrators have threatened but are yet to implement closures at the Marsa el-Hariga port.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to email@example.com. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- Tripolitania Society says 6+6 committee’s outcomes are arbitrary - June 09, 2023
- Minister of Labour reaffirms government’s social justice efforts - June 09, 2023
- Meloni: Libya remains a strategic partner for Italy - June 08, 2023