Tripoli-allied forces push back Haftar’s forces in most violent clashes in Tripoli so far
Violent clashes broke out in the southern districts of the Libyan capital, Tripoli, as forces loyal to the country’s UN-recognised Government of National Accord (GNA) launched a counterattack to repel fighters allied to Khalifa Haftar.
Residents of the city said they could hear sustained rocket and artillery fire in several districts of Tripoli on Saturday, after several days of stalemate on the ground, according many media outlets.
The shelling was louder and more frequent on Saturday than in previous days, residents said, and audible in central districts more than 10km away from the front line.
Both sides claimed progress in southern Tripoli, with GNA forces saying they had seized Wadi Al-Rabea, Ain Zara, and are pushing Haftar’s forces out of Qasir Benghashir and Airport Road.
The spokesman for the GNA’s military operation, Mustafa Al-Mejye, said their forces had launched a new phase of attack now, adding that orders were given early Saturday morning to advance and gain ground.
Another spokesman for the GNA operation, Mohamad Gununu, said Tripoli-allied forces carried out seven air raids against military positions held by Haftar’s forces.
The airstrikes included areas south of the city of Gharyan, 100km southwest of the capital, and an airbase at Al-Watiya, 50km further southwest.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- Libya’s HCS invites applicants for key state roles - December 31, 2023
- UK calls on Iran to prevent escalation in Israel-Hamas conflict - November 05, 2023
- Libyan Interior Minister: Immigrant shelter costs a fortune - November 05, 2023