Two Libyan commanders discuss migration issues with EU officials in Brussels
Two Libyan commanders were in Brussels on Tuesday (25 April) to discuss migration with the European Commission as part of a broader effort to stop people from fleeing into Europe, Euobserver reported.
According to Euobserver, a senior EU commission official told MEPs on Monday that a “huge meeting” had been organised on their behalf by the EU’s foreign policy branch, the European External Action Service.
“We are dealing with two coastguards. One reporting to the ministry of interior, the other one to the ministry of defence. We try to engage with both,” said Maciej Popowski, a commission deputy-director, Euobserver wrote on Tuesday.
Popowski said discussions would revolve around the needs of the commanders and what the EU could offer in return. It would also “make sure that the assistance we offer is used in an appropriate way, so that these funds are well spent.” Euobserver indicated.
Asked for details on the meeting, an EU commission spokesperson told EUobserver that it was about providing the Libyan Coast Guard with support as part of a plan with the EU’s naval operation Sofia.
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to email@example.com. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- Italy will give Libya five boats to control the migrants - February 04, 2023
- Dbeibeh’s government is not assisting us in the “Abu Agila” case, says his nephew - February 04, 2023
- Al-Swehli: Bouznika’s agreement to modify sovereign positions is declared unconstitutional - February 03, 2023