UN extends arms embargo on Libya for one more year
The UN Security Council unanimously adopted a resolution on Monday to extend authorization for another year so as to allow the European Union to seize illegal weapons on the high seas off the coast of Libya.
The 15-member UN body “decides to extend the authorizations as set out in Resolution 2292 for a further 12 months from the date of this resolution,” the UK-drafted resolution said.
Resolution 2292 was adopted in June 2016 to allow member states, for one year, to inspect and seize illegal arms off Libya’s coast. EU’s Operation Sophia has been working to stop smuggling illegal arms into Libya.
Peter Wilson, UK Deputy Permanent Representative to the UN, told the council that “we are pleased that the Council has remained united in renewing the measures we put in place last year for a further 12 months to help stop illegal arms entering Libya by sea,” adding that “it demonstrates that the international community is serious about improving Libya’s security.”
How to submit an Op-Ed: Libyan Express accepts opinion articles on a wide range of topics. Submissions may be sent to email@example.com. Please include ‘Op-Ed’ in the subject line.
- UK calls on Iran to prevent escalation in Israel-Hamas conflict - November 05, 2023
- Libyan Interior Minister: Immigrant shelter costs a fortune - November 05, 2023
- Libya’s political crisis can only be resolved through elections, says Russian ambassador - November 05, 2023